http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: A pound for a pound

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

A pound for a pound

There have been requests and demands on my lunch for a pound in London search:

Day minus one: visit to London - make sandwiches at Shelly's and eat them in public in Mayfair. Get strange looks from men in pin stripe suits and pink shirts, but the ultimate result - success!

Day one: First day at work - we have to leave the office for a train mid afternoon so a lunch "break" is not really called for. Only Sainsburys on the internet (there are no other supermarkets around) in search of the pound salads referred to by a reader of this blog. The staff look as me incredulously. There's a small pasta salad marked down to 1.20 - it's pretty vile so I heat it up to make it warm and vile - failure! Investment purchase, marked down bread and butter for 99p the two - success.

There are nibbles at work at a leaving do and I openly demonstrate my appreciation of someone else's generousity. This serves as dinner - success!

PM: Finally get a chance to go to Asda "part of the Walmart family"; you can tell I've hit rock bottom. KebMaf calls to make sure nutritious cookable items are hitting the trolley (that I stole when someone wasn't looking as I didn't have a pound coin for one) and then feels guilty that he and half of Helsinki have my leftover kitchen while I'm deliberating if it's worth buying cans without labels for nine pence... This place, despite having the most frequent PA announcements while trying to receive a phone call, is great as it's dirt cheap. Enough packaged, canned and preserved food for two weeks is purchased for a mere twelve squid - success! They are only about 700 metres from my place but even better - they could deliver, in case my legs and arms disappeared one night. I am tempted to see if the red line drawn around the shop to magically stops trolleys actually works, but the jumble of trolleys only inches past the red line indicates that it does. I can't even move them back to claim a pound off them; not that I tried. Really...

Day three: Conference again. I will scoff anything that doesn't move and cram my pockets - success!

Day four: I'm going to Shelly's who will stuff me and sell me by the pound on Jonna's behalf - success!

Stay tuned for the next unenthralling episode: 101 things to do with chickpeas, kidney beans, lentils, haricot beans, paratha and other "ethnic food items" that would have cost the earth in Finland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home