http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: Working 9 to 5

Monday, April 03, 2006

Working 9 to 5

So tomorrow, I rise and board a train with a lot of men with flecks of dandruff on their shoulders and grimaces on their faces, and head to London. Rather inconveniently I'll have three bags including a sleeping bag - because the next day (I'm overnight for a conference my first day at work!) I move into my new room, and apparently all the bedding has been stripped.

It'll be my first "office job" for some time that isn't related to motorsport and that doesn't allow me to come to work in any old clothes. I'll have to dress nice and act nice for at least seven hours a day. I'm a little nervous, though I'm not sure why as I've both done the job, met the people and worked their before!

I get to ask for my big fat tax cheque back tomorrow - and not a moment too soon. The cheque covers my overdrawn expenditure and a only mere ten pounds above it... Needless to say there will be lots of walks (free), museum vists (also free) and home lunches (substantially cheaper) in the next six weeks. Just don't look at my phone bill.

In addition to working nine to five, I am also securing a number of freelancing gigs for the rest of the year. I am looking forward to writing more and travelling for work less after all these years of acquiring random frequent flier programs for obscure airlines. It's a nice way to draw a close to my career in motorsport.

The final piece of good news... if you love something set it free... and hopefully it will come back and bite you in the butt. Or some sort of saying like that. Butt-bitten. Twice shy. Sleeping well. Waking up better. Welcome back...

2 Comments:

Blogger Preya said...

Hi Rowena--I love reading your blog and I always wait to see what you'll do next--maybe it's the TCK background we share:) So, do you think you'll go overseas again?

2:17 am  
Blogger Rowena said...

Well technically I am still overseas (from birth country anyway) but yes I will as a minimum live in France and Turkey and do a stint in a developing nation before I die or give birth, whichever comes first! Not to mention the numerous side trips... Next week Berlin...

12:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home