http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: You have to be organised

Friday, February 10, 2006

You have to be organised

I put on: trousers, thick socks, slip-on zip-up Goretex boots, a long sleeved top, a polar-fleece lined jacket, and a light wool hat only because I am only going about 60 metres, and while it's snowing (and with snowy skies) today it's only minus eight.

I walk the 60 metres, hands shoved in pockets, cold air rushing up trousers legs that are more accustomed to being swathed in thermal leggings.

The man in front of me, bent in similar posture, similar purpose but carrying his awkward load aready. We try not to slip on the old smooth ice.

We shuffle to find our keys with cold fingers, to turn it in the lock, to get it out of the lock even harder. We step inside. I am engulfed in warm air, my glasses mist over. I can't see for a few moments and he takes advanatge to empty his load. When my glasses have cleared, I book a laundry slot, the first available is the next day at ten am.

Expedition over. The shuffle home begins, grumbling to self about having a washing machine somewhere inside the house...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

and it's only -8! Toasty!

3:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home