http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: Groovin' while it's freezin'

Monday, February 06, 2006

Groovin' while it's freezin'

The week was a casual attempt at unpacking, getting resettled, learning to walk on white stuff, making sure friends are okay and remember who I am. And then Saturday struck.

Nina and I went to Ikea. It was minus twenty one. Needless to say we took as many buses and trains as it would take to get us as close as possible. The walk from the bus stop down to the entrance was treacherous enough. We exited with a lot of flatpack boxes, as the sunset, and waited for a taxi. Nina swears a lot when it's cold. She got so cold, she couldn't say the name of her new street properly. Or because she's only lived there three days, and it has several more vowels than an ordinary scrabble set. It also didn't help that I found this hysterically funny. At least we got there using some simple words like "here" and "there", "no here".

Nina has only been here half a year, but it's enough for her to think it's normal to go out when it's minus 18. I don't mean out to the shops, bank or post office, but out dancing and grooving and shaking. So much so that I found myself with a lot of layers on, checking my Ikea bag into the train station lockers and heading to the Outback Bar.

It's really lovely to be remembered and warmly received. It's even better when that is demonstrated by the provision of free drinks. We slurped the night away, particularly enjoying the recently renamed cocktail special, Mike's Creamy Stuff.

It was an awesome night and while I did take three of my tops off, I did keep my leggings on all night. The bus trip home was a bit arduous as Nina lives near Vantaa (note that stalkers) and it was cold enough for us to keep our hats on inside. This made for some interesting conversation when discussing getting home, having a drink and then having leftover pasta bake. It wasn't till after I asked "what in front of each other?"that we learned how much pastabake and masturbate sound alike through wool and fur...

We stopped shaking our thing at about 530am (temperature, only minus 16) and I got home at midday. Welcome home indeed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home