http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: Race you to the top.

Monday, September 12, 2005

Race you to the top.

"Climb every mountain" sang Maria in the Sound of Music. But I'm not so sure it's necessary. At least not every mountain.

I have a confession to make. I didn't climb Mt Misen. I can hear Christian gasp from hear. I walked up to the cable car (didn't run like they suggested!), took the cable car, the rope way, walked 500 metres up hill and then realised I didn't want to do this. That for the last 500 metres I had this internal monologue about why we climb mountains. I was also thoroughly hot (my shirt was soaked), bothered (it was the end of a day's walking) and flustered.

I could only think that people went up mountains to say that they did. I guess I'm not one of those people turned on by that because so close to the top, I turned around. I recalled the glum faces on the people in the ropeway going down. They didn't look like getting to the top had thrilled them. It all seemed a bit pointless unless I had a flag to stick on top of it, and that seemed a bit imperialistic too.

So I didn't go and apparently I missed Buddha's cauldron which has been bubbling since buddha himself lit it. Uh huh. And another magnificent shrine. Or temple. That I can't tell the difference between a shrine or a temple should say that I am not a conneiseur of these things and wouldn't know my Buddhist from my shinto, my Edo from my er Id?!

A lot of towns seem to have cable cars and rope ways and of course mountains to climb. Miyajima at least had a stunning view but unless other stunning vistas are promised (aerial views of factories not included) then I am going to leave mountain climbing for men with tesosterone to sweat out. And Sister Maria.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home