http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: I slept through the night!

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

I slept through the night!

Which means that I have nothing prepared on my memory stick from typing at 2am wide awake so it:s just me and the Japanese keyboard and my unwillingness to learn which combination of buttons produce the apostrophe key - instead read this : as apostrophe. Unless it:s supposed to be a colon. Ah work it out!

Some snippets while I gather my thoughts:

EMAILS
At present I can:t find anywhere with wireless or LAN so I am still using a net cafe. It aint cheap hence short emails to everyone. Long ones will start once I get to work as will phone calls.

COMMUNICATION
In English is proving difficult with young people! The goons at the net cafe would not even look me in the eye to try and gain some understanding. So I have to mime. Miming wireless internet is tricky. Miming, "I am going to the train station in the cool of the morning and then will come back and check out. I am not stealing your key." is also hard.  The ladies at the ryokan knew the word for computer though and my okonmuri sellers were also okay at English. Internet cafe nerds look out! Time for me to get past ten words of Japanese!

GETTING LOST
Anyone who knows me knows I have zero sense of direction. I:ve kind of worked out the few essential streets I need but I always get lost leaving the net cafe. It:s based in a mall in a shopping and entertainment area. It:s hard to use landmarks as I usually distracted on my way in and can:t remember my way in or out. Last night I eventually made it home by walking a very long way round and out. I should have brought my compass...

AMAZING I:M ALIVE
Anyone who knows me also knows I am a dangerous pedestrian! So it:s lucky I am unscathed given that I have walked around Miyajima, whose tiny streets I shared with hapless roaming deers and kamikazi drivers in tiny mini vans. On the streets of Hiroshima, the sidewalks are shared with pedestrians and take~no~prisoner cyclists in both directions. I:m often sent into a spin as they brush past me.

WALKING
From my train vantage point at platforms, it would seem that Japanese women walk funny like toe first, rather than heel. It:s really noticeable in school girls and less so in women trying to walk in high heels who have had to train themselves.

PERSONAL STUFF
I miss Finland, or more to the point, I miss Kati and Nina! I like answering "where are you from?" with Finland! Someone trumped me though, apparently an Icelander had just been through the okonomuri I first ate at.
I was hoping the Irishman and I could be friends. I hope so still even though there has been some well intended meddling on a friend:s part. Apologising over email doesn:t cut it. I:m going to try and work out the phone system to make amends. He goes on the road soon, really soon and it will then be even harder.

WORK
Not sure if they want me. No, correction, not sure if they value me. I am finding it hard to muster enthusiasm as a result. Still don:t know what hotel I am staying at.

PHOTOS
Does anyone looking at my photos have a preference for how they are organised? Town by town or thematically for example? Or are you happy to trawl through one after another endlessly?

I:m jumping on a train to Nagasaki now so I will write up Miyajima and Hiroshima onboard and post when I get there.

2 Comments:

Blogger daravida said...

photo organisation: town by town!

10:01 am  
Blogger Rowena said...

Done - just for you! And Christian who will soon nag me on my organisational skills!

3:39 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home