http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: A really great day

Sunday, August 14, 2005

A really great day

Yesterday was a really great day. I think at the end of the day, while playing a game, there was a question about what you would change from today and I don't think I could think of anything.

The Irishman was so late, I didn't have time to get upset. And anyway he was more upset than I was, it appeared. It was probably just a hangover, but he also looked confused about, well, life in general. I don't mean this to sound patronising, but it's just one of those things that define you. You meet people, you leave them, they leave you. I'm a bit of a believer in suffering, the people I relate to the most are people who have suffered. Sure we might be normal drama queens, worry warts, stress nuts, or hypochondriacs by day like everyone else, but when it's really needed, we've got this stock reserve of strength and perspective that I like to call maturity. Take AussieGirl for example. She might be actually younger than the Irishman, but she's stared death in the face a couple of times. That sort of things shapes you and you get pretty good at making decisions - right or wrong - and sticking with them, because you know there are bigger fish to fry.

So the Irishman, bless him, appeared deeply troubled with his decision but I assured him not to be. People just don't work sometimes. Make the decision, don't look back. Don't feel guilt etc. Learn from it, don't dwell in it.

Anyway, back to the great day. I have to say I felt kind of good being able to check my feelings when this all happened. I know you can get the impression reading this that I am an emotional nut but I can also have steely reserve. So I danced a little on the way to Outback where the Welshman was there to giggle with, and Will poured Pete's Creamy Stuff in a glass way too small so I had to drink it as fast as it was poured.

I spent the afternoon with Sami and Sarita, where we discovered Sami is just no fun when it comes to bowling (he too easily wins) and Sarita and I can be more competitive than we can be good bowlers!! I held one of their pets, Epsilon which was very weird. He is after all scaly and well reptilian... Sami made super dinner, Sarita tried to get me drunk on dessert and then shock of shocks, we invited my blind date for Tuesday over to play a game with us!! I mean my hair was everywhere, I was covered in spots so bad they looked contagious and the white light at the bowling had revealed invisible stains on my shirt! If ever an icebreaker was needed, we played a game that made you reveal quite a lot about yourself. I think BlindDate said it best on a difficult question when he turned to Sarita and said "you know, I hate you". But we all managed to laugh and maybe the date is still on for Tuesday despite me answering the question "what no longer interests you in life?" with the response "my family"... Good Rowena, reveal yourself slowly!!! Thank goodness the margueritas (super delicious) loosened my tongue even more. Not!

It really was a cool perfect day. Sorry to keep you up so late Sarita. And also my taxi driver who fell asleep in a tunnel!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I'll try my best to unlearn the little I know about bowling by next time.. ;)

Thanks for a great afternoon/evening!

6:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home