http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: The itinerary

Thursday, September 08, 2005

The itinerary

Friday September 9th depart London Heathrow for Tokyo

Saturday September 10th arrive Tokyo Narita.
Intended plan: take a fast train to Hiroshima and over night there.

Sunday September 11th explore Hiroshima - the site of the bomb. Note unintended significant date. Realise that the world has learned nothing. Overnight in Hiroshima.

Monday September 12th Visit Miyajima the site of the "floating" shrine.Hope that my visits coincides with the tide. Onwards to Nagasaaki.

That's about all that's plan though my wonderful travel friend Christian (yes he who I met in Business class!) has helped by throwing the bones of an itinerary at me which includes a revisit to Kyoto (Himeji castle) and Kokoen gardens.

He also suggests being based in Tokyo for day trips to Hakone (mmmh hot springs) which I had hoped to visit on a clear day to get a view of Mt Fuji; and Nikko.

In Tokyo itself I must visit the fish market and the Yasukuni shrine museum, where WW2 criminals are interred,and propoganda is plentiful and outrageous.

On September 22nd I start making my way to the island of Hokkaido, Japan's northern most island (a fact I must mention in every press release) for the Rally of Japan. I'm the press centre manager, the accreditation manager and looking after information in English including press conferences and information from the field. David was due to work with me. I shall feel him every step of the way.

Here is the revised Japanese version:
September 11th - travel to Hiroshima. On train, marvel at how CNN managed to show 101 docu-dramas today on how it has changed the life of every day Americans but not mention anything about the state of the world, Afghanistan (remember, we bombed them, "liberated" them and then packed off the tv media before we could see what state it's really in) and Iraq. Ahem... Moving on.

September 12th - explore Hiroshima including the modern city, the A bomb memorials and museums.

September 13th - travel to Miyajima and overnight there. No need to worry about tide times, apparently the last typhoon in the area has flooded the area. Er thanks Mother Nature.

September 14th - travel to Nagasaki. Overnight at Nagasaki.

September 15th - explore Nagasaki. Overnight at Nagasaki.

September 16th - depart Nagasaki for Kyoto. Overnight at Kyoto but not the US$500 ryokan we stayed at last year!

September 17th - morning walking tour to get a different feel for Kyoto than last year's "you will go here German perspective"! (Love you really Christian!) Visit the Meiji. Hmm could be too much for one day...

September 18th - travel to Tokyo and stay till September 20th. Check out Mt Fuji from a hot spring in Hakone, get gutsy at the fish market, get lost in the day and night life.

September 20th - make way from Tokyo to Obihiro. This is about four trains so I might stop somewhere as the area is less touristy and the landscape less urbanised.

I am based in Obihiro until October 3rd - the day after the rally, where I fly back to Haneda, zip across to Narita and jump on a plane to Perth.

I start work October 4th in Perth and will be based in the Northern suburbs.

I've currently asked for a flight back for December 7th to London.

I know I am going to miss home so much by then that I hope to have secured a cheap flight to Tallinn immediately after.

On December 22nd I should be back in London working at Crisis Open Christmas, this year as a general learning and skills volunteer and not ending up running the show. It will be so nice to just get to spend time with people.

December 30th the plan was either new year in Beirut (alone) or new year in Morocoo (Lyla et al) getting there via Malaga. I'll stay depending on how much money I have left! I'll probably head back to Finland after this trip.

14th January is Monaco (reach via Tallinn, Berlin, Nice) and I'll be down at the port securing next year's contracts before getting back to Finland and enjoying being a homebody.

More detail will be added to this itinerary as I make it up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home