http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: Who's watching who?

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Who's watching who?

If it's not enough that my blog has become a diary on line and that the bar staff at Outback have taken to reading it, I've now started watching the statistics.

Not so much as how many people read it, but who and how did they get there.

Some startling discoveries. If you google "nude Malay" - there I am. Not myself nude, but it chucks up my site. My hotels in Greece and Turkey; up pops the blog. Certain restaurants in London have landed people here too.

Of course if you search for my name - here I am. But if you search for - "rowena harding" + kebab - me again. First of all, who associates me that much with kebab?! Do I need to stop eating them?! There are only two me's on line so it's not hard to find us without the kebab association!!

I know that someone once read for hours. I can tell when the Kebab Mafia are online, when the Canadians are on, that my parents never.

I know I have readers in countries I've not been to, and places where I haven't been for years.

Freaky. But what is freakier? That people are reading, that the computer can tell us so much, or that I am interested in watching you too?!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It really is scary to look at some of the keywords people find you with. At least it shows that search engines still leave a lot to be desired in what comes to accuracy..

But you know, posting those keywords like nude whatever here is a sure way of getting more hits with those words!

Oops. Sorry.

6:13 pm  
Blogger Rowena said...

Actually I propose a competition. What's the weirdest combination of words we can google (without using my name) that makes my site appear. Perhaps "nude kebab" is a good place to start...

6:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It will be interesting to see if the reading patterns change now that you've announced you know who's reading your blog. Will the numbr of annonymous IP addresses change? Hmmm....

6:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a post once about quite an unpleasant visit to sauna. Read in the statistics that my blog pops up if you type "ugly bodies". Hmm, scary........
Agata

11:49 pm  
Blogger Wendy said...

OK, so now you know that I'm all caught up! that's quite some livin' you've been doing. and just wait til we speak on the phone so I can give you shit about Outback ;)

8:48 am  
Blogger Rowena said...

I just learned that "toothless old men" delivers my blog. Says it all really.

Sojourning. Still in Helsinki today though technically I went "overseas" when I went to a nearby island...

2:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home