http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: New and scary things

Thursday, August 11, 2005

New and scary things

I am staying in someone's flat, which is quite nice as far as mass housing goes. But it's older than it looks.

The laundry is in a basement from a Steven King film. At night, it's more like Silence of the Lambs. There is a long corridor and a light switch at the end of it, with lots of locked doors with Finnish words written on them. I tried a few before I remembered the name for laundry room (as opposed to drying room, airing room, carpet scrubbing room).

I also found a bunker down there, with a solid door and nail marks scratched against the inside and broken yellowed teeth in the corner. Okay I exaggerate a tiny bit, but this makes boring enough reading without the truth interfering, right?

It made washing laundry a whole new experience. Adrenalin on spin cycle. Terror with the rinse.

I have learned to use my own washing machine but I was faced with a much older contraption and it was like my first days in Finland all over again. What was delicate cycle? Did I need to turn the water on in this laundry? And so many other options.

I took some lucky guesses, pressed the wool cycle, felt for water coming through the taps, threw detergent in all of the four trays, and scampered out pretty quickly before someone locked me in the bunker, or worse, came out of it...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what came out of the washing machine? Were the clothes still the same size and actually cleaner than when they went in? :)

2:37 pm  
Blogger Rowena said...

Well choosing "villa" cycle was pretty safe and I didn't come back from the laundry with an axe in my head either. But then trying to erect the washing line was a little interesting, lets just say it's on an artistic angle...

4:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home