http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: The plastic bag thing

Saturday, April 09, 2005

The plastic bag thing

Coming from wasteful UK and Australia, I'm trying to get the planning of the plastic bag thing right.
Is there some sort of policy for when I should expect a free bag and when to pay?

For example, at H&M, I get a free bag, I figure because it's impractical to walk around with clothes tucked under my arm.

In bookshops I go to, I pay for a bag, arguably books being easier to transport sans bag. But then I get free bags when I buy CD's, which I thought would be in the same category as books.

And then groceries, which you really need a bag for, you pay for. Alcohol, which you only need a small brown paper bag (and a park bench) is again a pay bag.

Now I have taken to keeping a plastic bag neatly folded in my hand bag but this makes me feel like a bag lady (especially with my new habit of talking to myself).

I could of course pay 10 - 13 c for a new bag, but I kind of resent this. Should I be taking my bottles back to the shop to recoup my bag expenditure? However, carrying bottles in my handbag also makes me feel a little like a bag lady.

Finally, is there any etiquette on bringing the bag of a competitor to carry your groceries home rather than buy a bag of that store?

Or should I just get a life?! Oh hang on, this is my life now...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home