http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: The best day yet

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

The best day yet



I feel like an explorer again. This time, forces dictate a drop off I will come to know as Kaivopuisto. I am set alive by the light of the setting sun behind Uunisaaret. It is like lightning pushing the sun down and forcing the clouds and darkness to rise. It is magical and I come to learn that the light here is just that - magic.

I love the snow falling, the red boat sheds, the patterns, the ice, the coils of rope, the anchors. I am like a thrilled child. I walk right to the end of each pier, each rock. I weave under the keels and bows of boats looking for ways across back to the mainland.

I am entranced by the large wooden villas on the islands, by the islands themselves. Who is there, who goes there, who lives there? I wonder who the bare foot statue is.

At the brightly tiled Kaupahalli, it is the turn of other senses to be satisfied. I smell cakes and coffee. Sausages hang and spices waft. Christmas lights blink behind glass, icy sugary pastries beckon. The fruit is bright with illumination. I choose carefully but cheaply and am sticky fingered delighted.

At night we date. A night of garlic martinis, reindeer soup, pickled garlic, garlic bread and garlic everything. It is wonderful but all night our stomachs growl as if angered. Inside hearts tonight at least is peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home