http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: What if... ?

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

What if... ?

... I stayed in Australia for a month or two after working there.

What if I spent Christmas with my mother for the first time in ten or more years.

What if I travelled the East coast a little with the Irishman?

What if I made my mum's spare room mine. All mine. For nearly three months.

What if I spent time with my family.

What if I left the homeless of London for another day. Maybe there could be homeless in Sydney.

What if I was with the people who loved me unconditionally for three months.

What if I didn't go to Beirut for new year.

What if I actually paid attention to Christmas for once. And even sent a card.

What if...

Would I still be Rowena?

Sssh don't tell anyone...

Postscipt. This is the ninth year that I have lived away from Australia, the closest thing to home. This is the 43rd address I've lived in, in 30 years, not including temporary stays, long term couch sits and suitcase-in-hotel stints. I can't remember the last Christmas with people I knew the full names of. This is the 39th country I've been in long enough to send mail, contract a disease or learn some language. My most treasured posessions are my smurf, my laptop full of photos and writing and a Dr Seuss children's book called Oh The Places you'll Go.

Sometimes you need to assess your definition of home...

2 Comments:

Blogger greensatya said...

39th country !!!, that's quite a number. Seems you have lived in almost all the countries that I can think of.

10:13 pm  
Blogger Rowena said...

Sojourning -
I have noticed this a lot amongst Blogs. Funnily, you, myself and Midsummer Girl all came "under attack" from readers about the same time. It's hard because you want to share certain parts with family and friends and also as a form of therapy (for you talking where the verb doesn't have to go last, for me well just talking!) It seems like a phase every blog has to go through. I think if anything, the blog can be distorting because we only choose what people get to know about us...
Thanks for your kind words.
And stay on the right side of the law!

1:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home