http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: Woman, what a day!

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Woman, what a day!

International Women's Day yesterday.

As women in Finland can already vote, it seems appropriate that my sistas (as opposed to sisters) and I celebrated be being as dysfunctional as possible, crying, pushing the boundaries of friendship, re-drawing the lines impossibly close to the bone, being hung up on men, being driven by men, being in love with men, being pre-menstrual, post-menstrual and hormonal, drinking, laughing, hating, loving, being openly paranoid when confident inside, being confident outside when inside scared, and so on . Which goes to prove my theory that if women were in charge of more countries, we would never have war, only intense negotiations every 21 days...

It's left me all a bit bewildered, close female company being a bit of a novelty to me since er... um. Ever. All my friends were always boys (my mother had to make phone calls to anxious parents of boys I was always inviting over to slumber parties with I being the only girl to convince them that it was just the way I was).

Last night, close to female breaking point, I went to watch the last of the football. It was a crap twenty minutes but it made up for it for the occasional glimpses of Thierry Henry (I am still female at heart). I stood in silence with a watery cider in hand, and a nice man in an England shirt (god I have stooped low) put his hand on mine. We said nothing and just were. It was lovely. Why can't life always be that simple?!

Tonight I am staying in to watching a load of motorsport DVDs, eat from a can and scratch...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home