http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: A walk in the woods

Sunday, July 24, 2005

A walk in the woods


Today, as part of my "see Helsinki before I leave" campaign, and in response to a lazy weekend with the Irishman, I ran out to experience some of the walks in my naffly titled "Lets explore nature in Helsinki" book. "Lets" I said and chose to go the island of Pihjasaari which incidentally hosts a nudist beach. Sadly the nudist boat did not come in, so after a brief tour of Ruolahti (apparently the little Venice of Helsinki... hmmm) I headed off to Rastila.

The object was supposed to be a walk around the Kallahti Peninsula but I followed instead the glittering waterline, the boats, the green stuff directly opposite the Metro station at Vuosaari which seemed much more accessible.

It was pleasant enough, nature was all over the place, I took photos of said nature and a few of myself to please my mother. But then I got tired of nature and started looking for the exit signs. Or at least some signs. There was a pleasing brown sign at one point that I thought might lead to an "area of outstanding natural beauty" as they are known in England. But it led to a dead end instead. I contemplated stopping people and asking "misa on ulos" but there were no people and if there was, they would probably think I was strange. So I just plodded along, rather wearily and with the Welshman telling me of his drink consumption, annoyingly nowhere near a bar myself until I ended up at Mellunmaki. Quite some distance away from where I was or was supposed to be.

Next time I take a compass.

Rowena - lost in the wilderness

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home