http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: Fine Land

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Fine Land

I seem to do more emotional moaning than witty insights into the lifestyle of this country, so in my last remaining weeks, I shall try make up for it. I can't however promise to be witty.

Banking
Going to a bank in Finland is a bit like those Carlsberg ads. Lovely ladies sit behind office desks, invite you to take an Arne Jacobsen copy chair and make yourself at home, with a glass of water while huge amounts of cash are shuffled right in front of you, an unefforted arms reach away together with people's bank codes and the teller's computer password on a post it note... They really are trusting. No signs telling you not to stand up straight, lean or place your elbows on the bench or at your side because a large wall will automatically shoot up and decapitate you (Australia). No talking through bullet proof perspex, shouting into a microphone long clogged with the spit of the old men before you and pushing money and pens under a turning slot (England). Altogether pleasant.

Of course you pay for such safety. My local bank likes to charge me six euro if I come in with cash in hand and want to pay my phone bill, of which there is an account with that same bank. Six euro indeed. And unlike the Carlsberg ad, that doesn't come with a complimentary beer...

Cycling
Cycling is a good way to get around. I got back on the bike on the weekend for the first time since AussieGirl left. It hurt like hell and my lungs collapsed... But cycling is a good way to get around because there are a lot of cycle paths neatly marked out on the footpaths. Or so you think. Until you start riding them. First of all I keep forgetting what side of the road they drive on here - remember I don't drive full stop. So I am not sure if I should veer left or right when sharing the cycle path with other riders or worse pedestrians. Usually it's pretty clear that I am veering both left and right because I am so unfit, the bike is swaying under the effort and many an alarmed pedestrian moves right out of the way very quickly. Sometimes the markings on the ground fade and I can't remember where as a biker I should be and am so caught up in how knackered I feel, that I don't realise until a lycra clad proper biker has passed me, that I am possibly in people's way.

Laugh yourself silly with photos of my biking efforts.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it's of any consolation, the bank tellers don't like the 6-euro fees any more than you do: basically they have to teach the customers to use the automated tools (bill ATMs and online banking) so that the bank can fire them for lack of customers to serve.

But in all fairness, it's a rare occasion that you have to use the personal service at banks - most things can be done online for free.

10:15 am  
Blogger greensatya said...

After a long time, here is a post which I can understand.
Nice pics, you look cool on bike !

10:45 am  
Blogger A said...

Seems like it works for everyone! I used to complain a lot while in Finland but now I miss it. Show me another country where you can leave your wallet unattended and no one will take it!

11:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home