http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: Rapidly slowly

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Rapidly slowly

Yesterday's "Lets explore nature" adventure took me to Vanhakaupunki with an intrepid explorer who we shall call Uma.

The "urban steppes" as the landscape is called, didn't really blow me away and the rapids at this time of year are more slow than rapid, but it was still a pleasant enough excursion which didn't see me too lost in the wilderness.

The book does describe the area as "dumps of debris and heaps of lopped off branches, the best field of weeds in town... scrubby meadows... an incredibly scruffy zone littered with piles of junk" so it's really a miracle I even went there. Thank Sami's persuasion for that, and the fact that Uma wasn't up for riding to Itakeskus for another walk on the wild east side.

I'm planning another island this afternoon but it depends if my hangover lets me. Stay tuned for "tourist throws up on ferry"...

Photos of Vanhakaupunki

3 Comments:

Blogger greensatya said...

Wow ! you are covering the Islands at a frantic pace, good to let us know about them. I will also try to cover them.

Sami, extend some help to me as well :)

11:23 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry the Vanhakaupunki wasn't such a great experience - but maybe it was still better than "dumps of debris"..? :)

Satya, maybe I could - I used to live in Hameenlinna for 13 years of my life, so I know my way around.

10:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I went there once! i stupidly forgot to bring mosquito repellent and as a result got so bitten I couldn't walk for a week afterwards and had to be rolled around the house on chairs. (shudder)

8:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home