http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: Where have I been?

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Where have I been?

Down dark corridors, and sleepless nights, in hazy dreams and silent pain. But also somewhere very very good.

When is a crisis not a crisis? When it's a Crisis Open Christmas. Part of the reason I have not been writing, email or blogging is because the last four weeks of my life have been spent in Commercial Street working on the provision of temporary "villages" for homeless people. I call them villages because they are more than just shelters. In addition to dining and sleeping areas, the shelters offer a range of medical (alternative therapies, podiatry, dentistry, the full range), clothing, training, advice, legal, massage, sport, learning, recreation, entertainment and even a villgae green.
This year I found myself in a slightly management role, or at least co-ordinating a number of services (the fun ones at least!) so I didn't get to spend as much time with guests as I would have liked. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a rewarding experience.

To Eddy the shepherd, who hopes we shall never meet again in these circumstance; Zek the paranoid schizophrenic articulate poet; Steve the masterful painter who picked up a brush for the first time; the two old boys; the crying old Polish lady in the Santa hat; Derek who sings Nat King Cole; Tim who said I was good and meant it; Yolanta, for whom I am her Romeo; Carl the ladies man; Djarman the Moroccan waiter, and even Violent Allan - may 2006 be a better year for you all.


Photos of the COC
... and more

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home