http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: How to work with Finnish people?

Friday, July 29, 2005

How to work with Finnish people?

I've just realised I don't know how to work with Finnish people.

On Monday, I start work at a international event. No problem. I have done this many times before.

One problem, all the people working with me are volunteers. And I'm not. So we have to keep it quiet so as not to uspet people. This makes it quite tricky as some of the volunteers have been at this event for many years. How are they going to feel about suddenly having to work with a foreigner who is being suggestively assertive. (Suggestively assertive being the management technique of choice when you are told to look after things but everyone already works in a nice co-operative fashion!)

I thought it was going to be tricky working for the Japanese but actually the rules are so straightforward even when they don't make sense, that I knew who deferred to me, who I deferred to and who to pretend to defer to because I am after a young woman and can't really be seen as being in charge of anything!

In Australia, respect is earned, so my team for the first year raised an eyebrow until I told them of my credentials, and having worked with me, I've now earned enough respect for the lovely people to reward me with chocolate body massages. Really, I do love that team!

In Turkey, you had to be a clear firm leader. And then a little firmer to get people to turn up. And the rest you had to just bribe!

But in Finland, how does it work? If I state my experience, will that be seen as showing off? If I take too much work on will that be seen as unco-operative. If I delegate, will that be well received? I tend to get everyone involved in and aware of everything so people can work out the jobs that suit them best. Or do Finnish people want orders?

Guess I shall find out on Monday... Wish I didn't sell my Culture Shock Finland book so soon now. At least I know after a presentation, it's not worth asking "does anyone have any questions?"!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehehe...welcome to the Finnish working world! When I first started work at the big mobile phone company after arriving from faraway Singapore, I had the same problem as you except my problem was I could not find one person whom I could seek technical guidance from, and I, a newbie then, was just told that I was responsible for getting XYZ feature ready, ie. implemented and tested. Very scary. I had wished there was someone then who could give specific instructions on how to get started and what to do. Finally (after 8 months), there was one guy who was given the responsibility of being a technical lead and I relied on him heavily to get me through the datelines. So, come Monday, if you have the end results in mind and what tasks need to be done, it would be best to "spell" it out, ie. lay the cards on the table, and people can choose their tasks or you could assign them. Do keep an eye on the progress now and then, and if someone is at lost over what to do, some "handholding" would be good, ie. demonstrate how the work is to be done or work together with them. My newbie Finnish colleague was quite glad for my "handholding" sessions when he found himself terribly lost at what to do next.

8:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home