http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: Sad but strong

Monday, April 18, 2005

Sad but strong

I would say, if I had a Barry White style voice, that this one goes out to all you foreign young folk out there in Finland. That this was for those transferred, those young and in love, those starting a long distance relationship. And then I would break out into a song with loads of sexy bass. And everything would be alright.

Only I am not Barry White, and I can't even write as well as he could croon. But this one is for all those who know who they are.

Finland. Yes it's Europe. Yes they speak English. Yes it's Western. But bugger me it's different, it's foreign and you feel a long way from home. If I had a Euro for every struggling soul who is trying to make it here for love or money, I would be able to afford a lot of iso olut by now.

I have met people who have been in contact with the Samaritans in their home country, who have been admitted, who have left kids, brought cats, talked to themselves and cried. Is this what love does to you, or what Finland does to you? Perhaps the latter. Some people I know are tranferred here, the first country they have been to outside of home. And when the light disappears or blinds you, depending on the season, and a native walks towards you, uncooked sausage in hand, a strange tongue from their lips, it's like Close Encounters all over again.

I think we're all doing swell. Sure we spend way too much time on the internet. Sure our necks ache from it and our fingers hurt; most of us don't have real desks. Sure we get so scared to go out that successful shopping trips seem like something to write home about. But we are here. Every day you stay longer your survive.

Well done you. Well done me. Hit it Barry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home