http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: Back in the UK

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Back in the UK

I'm back. In the closest thing to home, which is very homely. Alyssa loves her princess dress and the flashing pink high heels I got from the 100 pesata shop in Almeria. Jacinta has already projectile vomited on me. Ah yes, home.

I met with the Christmas Elves and hinted that I really wouldn't mind some contract work with them. More news to follow. In other work related news, I turned down the job of Media and Publicity Manager for the Australian rally. It's an honor to be offered, and means that after 12 years, I have gone from student journalist at that event to the top level media position. It's something to be proud of. I didn't accept because the package wasn't right for me. It was a big call to make but it was in the middle of the COC, so I didn't have a lot of tolerance!

Yesterday I went to the Adventure Travel Show and spoke to VSO as well as a few other organisations. VSO looks right for 2007. On the application form, I need to declare my personal life... it will be fun putting dates to divorce, singledom and other significant moments!

The biggest issue with VSO is having to kill that debt. Ten K in 12 months... If I knew where the next lot of money was coming from then I would be able to at least put my Euro savings into it. But for now, the pound eats away at everything. I might actually have to push the consultancy a little. That consultancy whose website is sitting there stagnating while renewal notices that I can't afford come rolling into the inbox. I have to think hard to remember what I even call my business...that's bad.

I bought a guide book to Azerbaijan and for the Trans Siberian. I will do one or the other as my big trip for 2006. I like the idea of working at Rally Japan and then taking the train home to Helsinki! I'm also toying with doing a short placement overseas to make sure I really can do VSO. If not, Azerbaijan or hours on a train speaking Russian will be a good lesson in isolation...

In addition, I've booked flights to Monte for the first rally of the season and I am not that interested in a) going b) spending that much money c) talking motorsport...

There's a lot of planning to do. I need to make my laptops operational, get an accountant (first self employment tax return is due!), get the WRC calendar in front of me and get organised. But I haven't had the chance to lie-in a comfy bed for so long... In fact, I'm currently writing this from bed. Creature comforts, might as well enjoy them while I can, right?!

PS photos of Morocco now going online

1 Comments:

Blogger Nina said...

What's VSO?

5:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home