http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: What do you love?

Monday, September 19, 2005

What do you love?

There will be many people trying to console themselves with the one thing they can hang onto - Beef died doing what we he loved. Many people in rallying say that it’s a privilege to do what they love as a job, and get paid for it. Because we’re the “country cousin” to Formula One, it’s a sport that people really are in because they love it.

How many of us do what we love or only dream about it?

As the elevator went slowly down (as they do in old buildings in the Tokyo suburbs), I looked at the beautiful skyline and the neon lights were blurry with tears. When I stepped out, there was a clarity in the evening, a couple kissed, a child looked at their parent, two middle-age women enjoyed dinner together. I realised they were scenes from Louis Armstrong’s What a Wonderful World song.

I walked home so slowly it hurt, but so slowly that I saw the magnificence in everything. Later, I passed the city’s cardboard citizens and my heart went out to them in a country where I feel powerless and uninformed to react in a helpful way. But it inspired me more to enjoy what life had offered me, and more to the point, what I had made of those offers.

Travelling is what I love, and so I shall endeavour to put some happiness in the remaining posts for mainland Japan, before I reach Obihiro, where Beef was supposed to join us next.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sami Koen said...

how many of us is doing the job they love !
it's a hard question to ask, I study math and I hate it! I know what I hate but don't know what I like.
The scene you're describing like Amstrong's song is stoning. Not everybody sees the beauty you see in the life. When I saw Dead's Poet Society in your favorite movies list I fully realized your point. You know what Carpe Diem means and we share the same point about the life.

8:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home