http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: London

Thursday, July 07, 2005

London

As a Londoner for three long years, I should say something about what happened today. But I can't find words. Not because I am shocked. Or angry. Or pondering terrorism.
But because I have spent a good part of the day making phone calls, receiving emails, sending texts. The London community, which on this occasion stretched to Australia, Belgium and Finland, was working together to get word out that everyone was okay. And for someone who has walked the quiet streets of Moorgate during an evacuation, wondering where your husband is, and knowing that you should leave but knowing that you won't, today was a reminder of that feeling of helplessness. That feeling that exists for half an hour or half a day trying to track down that last person, getting the phone answered, receiving an out of office email, or seeing someone evacuated.

And I think today was enough to remind him too, of that time living in London in the shadow of September 11, one foot in the Muslim community and the other firmly in the City. We even exchanged emails to confirm all was okay.

And I keep thinking of a woman who once said to me "there but for the grace of God" and how many times London has exploded in forms around me (nail bombs, Admiral Duncan, Hatfield, Paddington) and how lucky I have been to not lose anyone.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As it was london where we once met for the first time and eventhough fully aware of you not being there at this time, well that is, you are never sure with you. My mind wandered off to that day of the train accident and the feeling that was there untill finding out everyone 'I knew' was okay.

As for the terrorism; it imposes less risk than crossing the street, but I like to make the choice myself.

1:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home