http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: You want to go where everybody knows your name

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

You want to go where everybody knows your name

"You want to go where everybody knows your name" goes the song from Cheers. But actually, no I don't.

I once heard an argument that people working in the tourism industry in Turkey can be blunt with the individual tourist because they prefer to concentrate on groups. I disagree. Lone travellers with no fixed itinerary are able to spend more time and money on whatever distractions are on offer.

I've been dividing my time between 1001 Gece - who want me to see the best of the region - and those who want me to ride their camel and perhaps a few who might want me to ride something else.

I've nipped out to the pension next door where I think no one knows I am single and alone and due to have a birthday. Sure this trip has its lonely moments but they have always been so crowded with strangers that I wold quite happily perservere with loneliness.

At present for example, I am writing on a terrace overlooking rock formations like soft sand dunes of dessert and piped jazz played somewhere over the rainbow and I had that moment all to myself and not to the man next to me who was bound to ask "excuse me where are you from "but I shot him such a glance that he has retreated into his mobile.

A couple of tables over is a man who thinks I am not Turkish, which I am not, but also thinks my sunset companion, who is Turkish, but I speak French to, and our collective sunset companions, who are also Turkish but we spoke German to... anyway the table man had a go at us for some reason after sunset and H wouldn't translate but I know in French this man is a "con".

I am also known by a man called Selcuk who might have been the man who pinned an evil eye pendant on me. I am also known by Mustafa, who spoke to me in French about randonees and various other activities which now means I can't use any other guide because that would just be impolite.

I am known well to Mustafa's shop neighbours, whose names I have forgotten but will later see me in the backs of cars and other places along with their children and cousins whose names I have also forgotten.

I have now got to the stage where I am as known as a local and I have only been here two days...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home