http://beta.blogger.com/template-edit.g?blogID=12064789&saved=true To Hel and Back :: Edit your Template To Hel and Back: What have I become?

Friday, April 22, 2005

What have I become?

From a message board I post on...

Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:12 am
Post subject: Addiction problem

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Get me off the internet.

I work from home. I pretend to work from home. Actually I spend time looking at this forum and other forums and reading emails etc.

I need help.

Does anyone else work from home and do more than just pretend? What are your coping mechanisms? How do you not get distracted?

This never happened to me in England, is it because I lived with real people, I spoke English, or that this forum is just so much excitement? Hmmm.

I've tried unplugging the Lan cable, but then realise there are a hundred tiny little things I need the internet for to actually work so I waste a lot of time plugging and unplugging.

I've got plans for doing the get out of house stuff, enrolled in school, joined a rugger club, bought a bike, signed up for H5, dated weird men, hang out at bars and VPK flea markets but I still come back to this.... like a junkie pouncing on dirty discarded needles...

Is there something about Finnish life that we could, if not led safely away, end up here glued to the internet. I've even started a secret blog for gods sake. I mean, what if I lose my language skills? A friend commented that I now write emails as if I am on a message board. Soon I might even use a phrase like LOL. I had never used a smiley until I got here...

Must... stop... typing... must ... go...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is 1 solution I received.

Purchase bottle of Kossu.
Purchase bottle of mixer, if you must.
Turn on computer and aforementioned internet connection.
Begin reading posts. Do not reply, yet.

Take a break.

Log off of FF.

Drink a few Kossu.

Take a look at politics or other www pages of your interest or ire.

Drink a few Kossu.

Read what Britney is doing.

Log on to FF.

Read the assinine thing someone wrote, read quickly, so as not to entirely comprehend it.

IMMEDIATELY reply with a scathing response, filled with all of your anxieties and confusion. Use as few emoticons as possible, so as not to let your readers know if you are serious.

Drink a Kossu. Wow, half a bottle already...?

Post a few inane comments about your cable televsion, politics or how hard it is to find shoes that fit in Helsinki.

Post a few politically incorrect comments about FF members' children.

Drink a few Kossu.

Look for replies to your posts. Don't worry, they will come.

Reply back in timely fashion. Don't forget the vitriol!

Drink a few Kossu.

Reply again, then go to bed.....

When you awake the next afternoon, you will likely go to your computer at some point, log on to FF and read what you wrote. You will be so embarrassed and confused about all the vitriol pointed your way that you will likely not want to log on again for a long time.

Then.....

Get some real work done.

Repeat as often as necessary.

10:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home